Sunday 23 September 2012

Grandfather Saves Dog From Alligator's Jaws

A US grandfather wrestled with an alligator after seeing his pet dog being dragged into the water in the animal's jaws.

Stephen Gustafson said he took a "flying leap" on to the creature's back to save his West Highland Terrier, named Bounce.

The 66-year-old was trimming branches on an oak tree outside his home in Lake County, Florida, when the gator attacked his dog.

"She let out a really high pitched, what I call 'yelp,' and I looked up and the gator had her in his mouth and was taking her far out," he told Fox News.

"I knew if I needed to react, it had to be quick.

"I saw the dog moving into the water and ran down the short hill in my backyard and just took a flying leap and landed flat on the back of the alligator."

Mr Gustafson said the tussle lasted about 30 seconds before he was able to free Bounce - after which the gator went for his hand.

"We were all under water," he said,

"My main objective was to get the dog to the surface for air.

"(The alligator) didn't bite (my hand) and hold. It was more of a snapping. He went to bite again and his jaws came close but I grabbed his jaw and pinned it shut."

The alligator eventually swam away, but was eventually trapped and is being preserved for Mr Gustafson's family.

"It's going to be an heirloom for future generations to see what their crazy great-grandfather did," he said.

No comments:

Post a Comment

You only need to enter your comment once! Comments will appear once they have been moderated. This is so as to stop the would-be comedian who has been spamming the comments here with inane and often offensive remarks. You know who you are!

Related Posts with Thumbnails

ShareThis